8.30.2005

Sabbath Trip

I am currently writing a short essay on God's view of human sacrifice in the Old Testament, as it relates to the passage I'm exegeting for this exam. It seems that as a general rule God is not for it. That actually mildly surprises me, but it shouldn't...I mean, I've met this God, and she doesn't seem like the type to relish it.

This take-home exam is dragging on...hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow. It will be nice to be done. I might even take a little Sabbath trip. Since I have my friend Frank's flight benefits I can fly pretty cheap, but it is Labor Day weekend, so it might be hard to get on a flight, so I might drive somewhere. I'll try to priceline a hotel for cheap. Maybe I'll spend a couple days in D.C. Or maybe Nashville. Or maybe I'll visit the L'Arche community in Boston. Hm. I dunno. Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

Blogger bigsip said...

Nashville is great! I would suggest New Orleans though, if it weren't underwater right now. I have been there many times and loved it every time. There is so much to do there. Keep all those folks in your prayers.

Now, about human sacrifice...Were you surprised because of the request that Abraham was to sacrifice Isaac? I don't think God ever intended for Isaac to die. It was a test of faith and a symbol that would be completed in Jesus personal sacrifice once for all. I suppose one could say that God sacrificed Jesus since He let it happen, but Jesus made the choice. Jesus iss really the one who made it or let it happen because he loved us so much. God does call for our own, personal human sacrifice today though. We present ourselves as "living sacrifices" to Him. Being a Christian is about sacrifice, following after the example of He who sacrificed himself for us. So, in a sense, God is for "human sacrifice".

5:26 AM  
Blogger bethany said...

Repeated from my post: *as a general rule* God is not for it. (this takes into account the rare occasions when God allows/causes it.)

And I am referring to ritualistic killing of humans, not to any kind of "living sacrifice."

6:31 AM  
Blogger bigsip said...

Yeah, I know. I was just speaking from a conversational standpoint. As far as ritualistic sacrifice is concerned, though, I don't see where God causes/allows that. I am referring to sacrifices to false gods, of course. He always condemns and offers retribution for that. When God takes the lives of many in the OT, such as the case where people were swallowed by the ground, He is doing it for punishment. So, from that standpoint, I think there's no question He's against literal human sacrifice.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home