8.17.2005

Hungarian Egg Jolks

Yesterday my mom and I were searching for these baby movies of me. After getting covered with dust and spiderwebs in the garage, and tearing the rest of the house to pieces, we still didn't find them. But we did find a little ledger book that my great grandmother had written recipes in. She came over from Hungary through Ellis Island in the 20s, and in the 50s she helped my grandfather (her son) run a bakery in Chicago. (A lot of my relatives in Hungary were bakers.) We're making this cottage cheese pie thing today from that book.

She only went to school through the 5th grade, so her spelling is often a little off, but it's easy to decipher because it's mostly phonetic. I'm actually quite impressed with how well she could sound things out, and it's really very endearing to me (in the way that often people's small quirks and imperfections become endearing). My favorite was the way she would write egg yolks. She spelled it "jolks" throughout the book. This is my favorite--because it gives me insight into how she must have pronounced it with her accent, and it is hilarious to me that she got the "L" in there, which seems to be the harder part. I think I'm going to call them "egg jolks" from now on.

4 Comments:

Blogger micah said...

thats wonderful. i wonder where in chicago the bakery was located. it would be interesting to see what's there now.

hope that you are enjoying your time in la. i'll hold down the fort here in atlanta until you get back.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack. I found your blog out of nowhere and now I'm totally addicted. Is there any chance of your adding arkdance to your protected list in xanga.

Love the honesty. Miss the seminary. Looking forward to where God's calling you.

Peace, Casey Thompson

10:05 PM  
Blogger bigsip said...

Family memorabilia like that is literally priceless! Our family has lived on the same homesteaded land in LA (lower Alabama) for 6 generations. In that time, we've been able to store up many documents, stories, letters, books, etc. Hold onto those things. They don't just tell you about them, they tell you about yourself!

5:17 AM  
Blogger TheNeedyMother said...

McB, That is an awesome, awesome discovery. I never knew about the Hungarian side of you. It is amazing that they ran a business and all sorts of things like that. Thanks for the recipe. And your friendship, I enjoy seeing you. The honesty, the realness and fellowship in God is something I love having through you, my sister!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home