8.16.2005

Coming Home

Well, I'm back in California, and loving it. On Friday it was really looking like I wasn't going to get on any flights to L.A., since they were all full--and I was 16th on the standby list for the flight I was trying that was already overbooked. But I was feeling uncharacteristically optimistic, and was really hoping and praying that somehow it would work out. And, it did!!! I am so grateful, and now I'm here, so praise the Lord! I spent the weekend in L.A. with a couple friends, now I'm at my parents' for a few days, then I'll be in L.A. for another couple days, then it's back to Atlanta. It's good to see people, and just to be here. But since I have to do a lot of studying for my ordination exams (they are happening the weekend after I get back to Atlanta), I don't get to see everyone I'd like to.
I am noticing a pattern for my flights back to CA. As soon as I am about 1.5 hours from landing, I always begin to cry. This time I realized that this is a regular thing that happens, and I thought about why that was. I think it's because at the end of the day, Atlanta and I are just not bosom buddies. And I miss so many things about CA (mostly people and relationships here), but I have to push that out of my mind most of the time I'm in Atlanta, because I still have to be there another year, and it would be kind of pointless to just spend the whole time depressed and sad about missing people. (Ironically, I'm not really thinking I'll be moving to CA after seminary--but I am really hoping to leave the deep south.) So when I get closer to home, and to seeing someone I love (whoever's picking me up at the airport, this time it was Jose), that's when I finally am able to get in touch with and release some of those feelings I push aside the rest of the time.
Anyway, all of that said, it's very good to be here. (I have the sunburn from hanging out by the ocean to prove it...)

1 Comments:

Blogger bigsip said...

There's nothing like going home. We just got to move back home to be with all our family and it's AWESOME! I used to have a similar reaction when we would come down to the Montgomery area on visits, before we moved. It was just a feeling of returning to a "womb" of sorts. You are tied more closely (good or bad) to the place you call home than you realize. I get that EXACT feeling when I think of Heaven. That's where Home really is.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home