8.29.2005

American English

Since I've now lived in the South for almost 2 years, I'm getting better at noticing differences in dialect and speech patterns. I think it's fun to notice the differences in vocabulary and phrasing. Two websites that I like about American language are:

A quiz from PBS where people from various parts of the country say a sentence, and you have to try to match up what part of the country the person is from.

A quiz based on dialect to tell what percent Yankee or Dixie you are. (I scored 55% Dixie, I demand a recount!!! There is no way it's that high. hmph.)

8 Comments:

Blogger bigsip said...

HAHA! Be proud of your Dixie-ness! Speaking and writing unsound English is a problem across the U.S. I hear people speaking poorly worded sentences everywhere I go.

5:54 AM  
Blogger bethany said...

Trust me, I'm just not Southern.

7:04 AM  
Blogger bigsip said...

What is it to be "Southern" though. It's very nice, actually. You can be laid-back, eloquent, witty, friendly, interesting, and funny. There are many more wonderful Southern attributes,, but they'd take up innumerable blogs.

9:48 AM  
Blogger bethany said...

You can be all those things and not from the South also. And to reiterate, I am not Southern.

11:28 AM  
Blogger bigsip said...

So true that those good attributes can be held by those not Southern...is Southern bad? Is there a reason not to be Southern? Are you sure you're not Southern? I detected a distinctly Southern flavor in your reiteration...

12:41 PM  
Blogger micah said...

trust me, bethany is as southern as fried okra and gone with the wind.

7:17 PM  
Blogger bigsip said...

HAHA...Micah has spilled the proverbial beans. Joking, Bethany. You should be who God made you. He made me Southern, I suppose.

5:16 AM  
Blogger bethany said...

Yes, She did.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home