8.17.2006

Pursuing and Being Pursued

The countdown is ON!!! 10 days left before I move back to L.A....

Last night I saw Little Miss Sunshine for the second time. I adore that movie. It goes into wide release this weekend. So folks, get on it. (There is bad language if that is something that offends you, just fyi.)

After the movie, my friend (who shall remain nameless) and I were talking about all sorts of different things. One thing she mentioned was a guy who said he's into the "biblical" model of gender roles, and how that was a turn-off. And we talked about how that is so lame, because if you look at the whole Bible, and not just a select 3 sections, you will get a very different perspective than the typical conservative Christian culture definition of gender roles. So we threw around some pro-egalitarian biblical stuff for a while, and talked about how we thought relationships should be organized around who has what gifts, not by who has what biological organs.

That's not the point though.

So after we had this nice pro-equality discussion, she said something about how men need to be the pursuers and show interest initially. And I was like, wait a second! How can we say we are pro-equality, and then turn around and say we can't initiate, and have to wait to have men initiate dating with us? That seems weird, right? But she didn't think it was incongruent at all. But why isn't it?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually agree somewhat with your friend -- but I'm about to leave work and don't have time to get all into it right now. I'll shoot you an email, maybe tomorrow.
:)
Eliz Martin

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are totally right, Bethany, and your friend, "with all due respect" (See Taladega Nights!) is an totally wrong! :)

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant "is totally wrong!" not "is an totally wrong!" What I said before was is an totally wrong!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home