12.21.2005

Little Glimpses

Ah, it's 70 degrees again in SD today...feels like Christmas. Seriously though, I have no problem with the colder weather; but it is nice to be able to go for walks and sit outside without pounds of clothes on. And I got to hang out with my family in NorCal for a couple days, and I got to see a couple of my best friends, and all's well. I need to spend some more time by the ocean though.

Something I've been thinking about lately is the conversation that happens between what I believe about God, and what I see happening in my life. Y'know, the usual relationship between God and experience. And I do think it's good for them to be in conversation with one another, but the thing I've been realizing is that a lot of times it's a one-sided conversation. Like, it's much easier to let my experience dominate the discussion about what God is like--when really, I think it's even more crucial to let who I know God to be transform how I see and interpret my experiences.

Take the area of romantic relationships (or don't, for all I care). But I don't have a lot of luck in this area, I hardly ever meet people I would want to date (I get infatuated easily, but that's different), and when I do they don't want to date me. Or, vice versa. It's just not an area I've tasted a lot of God's faithfulness in. And I'm not bitter about it, but it's easy for me to begin to believe that God is just not faithful or good to me in this area (and let's face it, for most of us it's an important area). But that's letting my experience determine what I think about God, when what I really think needs to happen is that my understanding (and really experience, too) of God's goodness can recast how I perceive my experiences in this area.

And I think God spares us and saves us from so many things we're not even aware of. But once in a while, we do get a glimpse of how God is working all the time, and I think it's those glimpses that keep us going.
Like when I first got out of college, and I applied for this job at my favorite L.A. radio station at the time (Y-107) which I thought was the perfect job and I loved the station, and I prayed like mad that God would give it to me. Well, I got the interview, and I pursued the job hardcore, and I didn't get it. I felt so crappy, and felt like God had let me down, and blah blah blah. So anyway, a few months later I turn on my car, with the radio on Y-107, and the mariachi band blared out of the speakers. Yes, the radio station had converted to a Spanish station. If I had been working there, I would have been out of a job just a few months later. God knew what she was doing after all. And I think it's the same in romantic relationships too.

Anyway, gotta love those little glimpses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home