12.05.2005

Exilic Prophets Paper Angst

I am going nuts. I have my final paper for Exilic Prophets due Thursday, and I have yet to really settle on a topic. Or, should I say, I've already settled on several topics, only to begin researching them and realizing either: 1) The topic is too broad and really is better suited for a book than a paper; 2) I am totally uninterested in the topic; 3) I really have nothing to say about it; or 4) The topic really doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things.

See, after writing a midterm paper that I loved so much, that made me realize in a new way the great joy of research and writing, I am just at a loss now. This is my favorite class ever. These are some of my favorite texts in the Bible. And I am just not allowing myself to settle for anything less than thoroughly engaging, passionate, meaningful project. But alas, Thursday is coming up more quickly than is comfortable for me.

So, as my 378th proposed project/paper topic, I will be doing something with Ezekiel 3:1-11 (or perhaps up to v. 15). I've decided to narrow to a specific text, instead of doing a "topic", because those were just getting too big. So that's my text--and I'll either do a straightforward Hebrew exegesis paper, a sermon addressed to a real specific (and probably modern-day exilic) community, or some kind of article about how to be a preacher. But whatever. I think at this point I have to at least stick with a specific text, and I do love this text. So I'm including it here, and since I am currently flailing wildly in the middle of the sea, I would appreciate any thoughts (about the text, about how messed up it is that I can't pick something to write about, words of insight/grace/wisdom/rebuke/comfort, y'know, whatever).

1 He said to me, O mortal, eat what is offered to you; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. 2 So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. 3 He said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey. 4 He said to me: Mortal, go to the house of Israel and speak my very words to them. 5 For you are not sent to a people of obscure speech and difficult language, but to the house of Israel— 6 not to many peoples of obscure speech and difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. Surely, if I sent you to them, they would listen to you. 7 But the house of Israel will not listen to you, for they are not willing to listen to me; because all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a stubborn heart. 8 See, I have made your face hard against their faces, and your forehead hard against their foreheads. 9 Like the hardest stone, harder than flint, I have made your forehead; do not fear them or be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. 10 He said to me: Mortal, all my words that I shall speak to you receive in your heart and hear with your ears; 11 then go to the exiles, to your people, and speak to them. Say to them, "Thus says the Lord God"; whether they hear or refuse to hear.

[And perhaps also the following...which makes for a kind of long chunk tho...]

12 Then the spirit lifted me up, and as the glory of the Lord rose from its place, I heard behind me the sound of loud rumbling; 13 it was the sound of the wings of the living creatures brushing against one another, and the sound of the wheels beside them, that sounded like a loud rumbling. 14 The spirit lifted me up and bore me away; I went in bitterness in the heat of my spirit, the hand of the Lord being strong upon me. 15 I came to the exiles at Tel-abib, who lived by the river Chebar. And I sat there among them, stunned, for seven days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home