12.11.2005

Acts 27 Poem

To get on the bandwagon of posting poetry we've written, here is a poem I wrote in response to Acts 27, about Paul's sea voyage, and what it made me think about.

---------------------------------------------

I really like showering.
I'd take 5 a day if I had the time
and it wasn't an issue of stewardship
and it wouldn't strip the good stuff from my hair.

Sometimes I take 2 though.

What I'm saying is,
I really like water.
If I could be near water
touch water
see water
hear water
be in water
constantly,
it would be a very good thing.

But the open sea isn't like a shower.

And laying on the beach, or
bodysurfing, or
looking at the ocean, or
fishing off a pier,
is a lot different
from
being in a boat,
far out from the land
at the mercy of the wind
which can be merciless in its violence.

Your plans get thwarted.

At first the wind is pleasant.
It seems like it will help you
get where you want to go.
No.
To where you need to go.
But you're not going there today.
When you're on the sea
there's only so much you can do.

So you have to make a choice.

Take your boat onto the sea
risk the wind
risk the waves
risk death
at least to your boat
if not to yourself and your whole crew.

Or

Stay in your house
under your roof
under your ceiling
under the covers
listening to Ocean Sounds #4
on your Sharper Image sound machine.

Hold your purposes loosely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home