12.05.2005

Gift Giving

So, a friend of mine and I were talking about gifts tonight (like, tangible presents, not spiritual gifts). I have the unfortunate privilege of being born on Christmas Eve, so my two main present-getting days are right next to each other. Now, these days, I don't really expect presents from my friends. I also usually don't get them presents either. Typically I do send a card, but for their birthday or Christmas I typically take them out to dinner or take them out for drinks instead of buying a gift. I usually assume that at our age, if there's something we were dying to have, we probably already bought it for ourselves.

Plus, and maybe this is where my own projecting comes in, I just don't like trinkets and useless decorative items (there are a few exceptions). I mean, I like books, music, DVDs--but I typically like to keep my surroundings as clutter-free as possible (which is not to say they're not messy, there's just not a lot of little knick-knacks and trinkets around). So the less stuff I have, the better.

So what's the word on this? Do you all get presents for all your good friends still? Am I a total Scrooge? I mean, if it was a friend who I know presents really mean a lot to, then I'll get them one. But I don't think I have many friends who really give a damn one way or the other. But then again, maybe I'm just overlooking it...I hope not!

2 Comments:

Blogger DarkTortoise said...

I was talking today with someone at work about how I wish that our traditions were such that we gave gifts to our friends and family on our birthday rather than receiving them. That day would be a day to express largess through gift-giving in thanks for another year of life.

It would also mean that in a circle of say, twenty friends or so, each would get a gift nineteen times, spread out over the year, rather than nineteen all on one day. This is especially appealing to people like me (and you) with birthdays in December (mine's New Year's Eve - just try getting someone to come to a birthday part on THAT day!)

Incidentally, I've taken to celebrating my birthday in late February instead of its actually date to avoid conflicts with other holidays and family birthdays. Of course last year, I think it was early April that a friend of mine threw me a birthday party.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish we celebrated the Jewish holidays and got 7-10 presents every year. Oy vay!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home