11.13.2005

Digitization

How does everyone feel about the digitization of the world? Today I was thinking about 2 specific types of digitization: Music and Photos.

Music: I was flipping through my CDs, and seeing all the different fonts, artwork, and photos, and was thinking how I kind of miss this in the new era of iTunes and downloading CDs. There isn't yet an adequate replacement, even just emotionally, for being able to hold the music in your hand. For the sake of convenience, since I'm now basically all-iPod all the time, I don't buy any more hard CDs. And I miss that.

Photos: Same thing with photos. I take all sorts of pictures with a digital camera, put them in my computer, and there they stay. I miss just being able to go through them, feel them, hold them, etc. I know I can go print them out--I just don't. But maybe I'll start.

Things are just getting a little too intangible for me, I think.

1 Comments:

Blogger TheNeedyMother said...

I was a film snob for a long time. And then I got my little ELPH and it takes amazing photographs, gives me instant results, and pretty much puts a darkroom in my hands. I recently started developing photographs, just to appreciate the art form, and I can't express the joy before me when I saw my own work magically appear on what was a blank sheet of paper. Nothing like good old fashion photography. With digitization, we're allowed to erase images to quickly, too easily, hence even being even MORE selective in our memories.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home