10.26.2005

Thank You, Rosa Parks.

Yesterday, as I was thinking about Rosa Parks at various points throughout the day, I realized that I mostly thought about her when I saw any person of color. And I started thinking about how people usually think about her as an advocate for African-Americans and other minority groups in this country (which she was)--as if what she did was a blessing only for non-white people. I mean, sure, no doubt, what she did was a MAJOR step forward in the civil rights movement, and all people of color have benefited from her courage.

But I am here, as a white person, to also say my thank you to Ms. Parks. It is a blessing to the oppressors to be made aware of their evil (though we often don't realize it at the time...). And Ms. Parks was a prophet for us. If it was not for her, I am not sure where I would be. Godspeed to you, Rosa Parks. I am deeply indebted, and have no doubt that there was a great rejoicing in Heaven when you arrived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home