9.13.2005

On Communities shaping values...

Isn't it interesting when someone repeats to you something you said to them a long time ago that really stuck with them, but which you seem to have forgotten? And then you end up enlightening yourself, retroactively. It's a very funny and cool thing.

This happened last week when I was meeting with my accountability/prayer partner, and she mentioned that it really struck her about a year ago when I realized anew how much my values and characteristics are shaped by the community of people I spend the most time with; and how I wasn't entirely happy with how my values/characteristics were shifting at the time. So I intentionally began to spend more time with people who I wanted to rub off on me. I mean, if people are going to rub off on me anyway, at least it's good for me to pick people who have characteristics I actually want to have. And I'm at a place again where I need to look at that.

You'd think these people are in abundance in a seminary community. And you'd think wrong. But I'm also trying to navigate that tension between wanting to be in community with people who can encourage the values and character traits I want to grow in; but also realizing that Jesus delights in bringing different types of people together, and offering reconciliation. Does this extend to all people of different theological, ethical, personal persuasions? I don't know. But I know there has to be some middle ground between being tunnel-visioned and only being around people who think and act like me, and between being so into my relationships with people who are other, that my own center shifts from where it needs to be.

Anyway, just something I'm thinking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home