7.31.2005

Spiritual Stuckness

In meeting with my prayer partner D this weekend (well, we're really just friends, it's just an intentional friendship where we also pray for one another) we were talking about in what ways we've been experiencing God lately. We both haven't been feeling God as much lately, and for a long time she has been having a hard time connecting to God through the typical avenues (reading the Bible, normal praying, etc.). So we talk about other ways we can engage with God, and try to find out how God might be wanting to engage us. And for her, lately, it has been really frustrating. (If you are feeling an urge to write words of advice for my friend, please fight the urge.)
But it got me thinking about seasons in the spiritual life--and how sometimes one thing that really helps me connect to God for a while, will eventually not work anymore. And how something that may not have helped me in any way to feel God's presence before, later may become a great source of spiritual nourishment for me. Sometimes I get stuck in wanting God to keep relating to me in the same way, and I get frustrated when the tried and true methods of connecting to God stop working. And instead of looking out for new and fresh ways God wants to meet me, I keep doing the old ways over and over again and getting more and more frustrated that God feels distant. Which is not to say I expect God to never feel distant, it's just that I think it's easy to get stuck in spiritual practices (which can be good in some ways too, i.e. disciplines).
I guess what I'm saying is just that I want God to help me become a new wineskin as often as I need to.

3 Comments:

Blogger bigsip said...

I understand your frustration. Something that helps me is understanding that my relationship with God is just like my relationship with any other person. There are times in my friendships, relationship with my father, etc. when I feel really excited and happy to be around them! Then, there are the normal times. It's the same with God. You're not always going to feel that big, happy time all the time. That's where worship, study, singing, fellowship wwith believers, etc. come in. If those things aren't helping, perhaps you need a renewal through a change in your own attitude (not that that's what is happening in this case). I find that looking at the world, nature, children, or any other blessing is something that makes me realize God's presence and power. Of course, you mustn't neglect study, worship, prayer, singing, etc. But, adding to your spiritual repertoire and realization is vitally important and necessary. Recongize God's presence all around you and you'll never miss Him!

6:21 AM  
Blogger bethany said...

That sounds an awful lot like advice...but I'll let you slide just this once... ;)

8:11 AM  
Blogger bigsip said...

Whoops...sorry...I misread and thought you were asking for tips! I'm sure she'll figure things out herself. Part of the Christian Walk is coming upon obstacles and learning to get around them yourself. It makes you stronger and wiser. Didn't mean to butt-in...It's so easy to do that in a blog universe! Hope your friend finds her way through!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home