7.19.2005

Enemy Love

I'm thinking that I will start including in most of my entries a quotation that strikes me in some way from whatever book I'm reading at the time. It may or may not have to do with the content of the post overall, but it will give me a chance to just throw out little literary nuggets that I like and over time to have a compilation of sorts.

Lately Jesus' statement about loving our enemies has really been sticking with me. It really is so easy to love people who love me, and not at all easy to love people who dislike me. That is one of the callings of Jesus that feels the least natural to me; it's one of those things I can't even begin to accomplish without his help (there are many such things...). And really, I think loving my enemies is truly helpful to me, in so many ways.

From Moby Dick: Ah, God! what trances of torments does that man endure who is consumed with one unachieved revengeful desire. He sleeps with clenched hands; and wakes with his own bloody nails in his palms.

1 Comments:

Blogger bigsip said...

So true that we only hurt ourselves by hurting others. But, we free ourselves in love. God is love and therefore love is God which means love is infinite and carries with it the power of eternity and greatness that we can show, but will never fully comprehend. Love one another, for love is of God. He who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. John said it well...

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home