7.10.2005

Things I like about Atlanta

Since this is likely to be my last year in the Southeast, I want to make sure I take the time to enjoy and relish all the good things I enjoy about life here. Sure, it's never felt like home, and it's not somewhere I would want to settle, but there are definitely some things I have really liked about this part of the country. So to that end, I am going to begin a list (that will have more added to it over the year as I think of things) of things I really like about Atlanta that are new to me, and seem to be here more than southern CA. In no particular order (other than the order they come into my brain...)

1. Weather...in particular, abundant thunderstorms and rain, especially throughout the summer
2. Hip-hop/rap stations play Gospel music every Sunday morning until noon
3. Relaxed bar culture...you can go grab a drink with a friend, and not worry about looking good or being part of the "scene"
4. Trivia nights at lots of bars...for free once a week you can play Team Trivia against everyone else in the bar for bar cash
5. My seminary...in particular, the faculty who are amazing.
6. Not everyone looks like they want to become an actor or model
7. Movies almost never sell out
8. Abundant parking that you rarely have to pay for
9. Sweet, big-hearted, simple country boys
10. Agnes and Muriel's (a restaurant)
11. DeKalb County International Farmer's Market...a GIANT place w/ tons of fruit, vegetables, baked goods, meats, and international products that aren't too expensive; plus, about 2/3 of everyone that works there is from a country I haven't heard of and speaks a language I've never heard of (it's written on their name tags).
12. Lots of lakes
13. Mary Mac's Tea Room (another down home Southern restaurant)
14. A city that is trying to take homelessness seriously and a mayor that has a plan to help get all homeless people back on their feet in the next 10 years
15. Seeing more wild animals...yesterday I saw an owl perched right by where I parked my car, last year I saw a hawk actually pick up a live squirrel off the ground with its talons.

OK, that's enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home