7.05.2005

Getting Advice

Does anyone actually enjoy getting advice? I have lately begun to think that more often than not people give advice to assuage their own uncomfortability with pain the person they're talking to is going through. I mean, if there's a solution then you don't have to enter into the person's pain with them, because, wham! it's solved. But I doubt that advice giving is really the best response...it still leaves the person alone in their suffering, but potentially now the person can feel hopeless too, since whatever "solution" might not actually seem so feasible or helpful to them. Something I have seen often, and which I have seen among family members, etc. in hospice is that people are very against going through any kind of emotional suffering. So, rather than meet the suffering person in their suffering, they will try to bring the suffering person up to their mood level. Sometimes the suffering person will feign an improvement of mood, just to get rid of that damn do-gooder by appeasing them, and then the "helper" can feel like they made such a difference by cheering the person up. So the do-gooder didn't really help anyone but him/herself.
And the person is still alone in their suffering, waiting for someone to come to where they are and be willing to enter into their pain with them; a gentle presence in the harsh darkness.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good to us in the midst and in spite of the darkness; but He doesn't give us a get-out-of-life card. What He does provide - what He has provided for me - are people who remind me that morning will come, but nevertheless sit with me until it does.
(part of a friend's comment on this post from my private blog...and i really liked this comment)

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home