4.24.2006

The Question Game!

From stephaniecapell:

1. How do you plan to celebrate getting the MDiv?

Hm. This is a good question...I haven't really planned any specific kind of ritual or anything. One of my best friends, Jose, is coming out from L.A. for graduation weekend, and then he will be accompanying me on the drive back to the west coast--and that is going to be a wild celebration of a time! And then there's the usual things like lunch with the family, etc. There will also be a reception at my mom's house in SD county sometime this summer, to which all of you California folks will be invited.

2. Why do you like Patty Griffin so much? Also, what other singer is she similar to, if applicable?

As I sit here listening to her sing the song "Long Ride Home," finding the answer to that question is both easy and difficult. It's like answering the question "Why do you love this person?" You can name a whole list of things you love about them, but the bottom line is the answer is deeper and more mysterious than anything you can name. That said, I'll name a few things I do love about her. Her songs are often really, really sad--and it is in their sadness that they have this profound beauty. They are filled with emotion (often grief, loneliness, sorrow) and her voice really reflects those emotions. She knows how to use tone, volume, and all of that. But I don't think she just "uses" them like some other artists, I think she really does feel the things she's singing. And it's that empathetic vibe that I really gel with. Plus, I love to sing LOUD. And Patty's songs are all in my sweet belting range, and I can play many of them on the guitar. Sometimes I'll go up to the chapel late at night, when no one is around, and sing loud enough to wake the dead. It's a very cathartic thing--singing these grief-filled songs at the top of my lungs.

Eek. Comparing her to someone would be impossible for me, because to me she is beyond and separate from all others. So, instead, I will name a couple comparisons other people have made. I have heard people compare her voice to the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks. I have also heard her compared to this other folkie type singer named Nanci Griffith. But trust me, she's in a class to herself.

3. Out of all the jobs you’ve had, which one have you learned the most from?

Great question. I'm going to pull a stephcapell and say it's a tie (so I can name 2!). I would say I've learned something really significant from all of my jobs, but a couple of them stand out as transforming my life in really important ways. Teaching at a special ed high school in LAUSD definitely taught me a lot. It was through my relationships with the students (in particular, the light of my life, Xochitl) that I learned a lot about myself, God, life, and love. I learned a lot about physical beauty--my eyes were opened to see a broader range of beauty (in both others and myself) than what our culture deems as beautiful.
I also learned a lot in my work as a hospice chaplain--about the dying process, grief, and family dynamics. But also I learned a ton about myself, how I relate to people, what of my own issues get mixed in with how I provide care, etc.

4. Did you decide what laptop you wanted?

Yes, I did. I will be making the switch, and becoming a Mac user. I will most likely get a 12" G4 iBook. And I am convinced that the domination of the iPod is just the first step in Apple's future domination of the technological world. So, I am helping them in their goal to world domination.

5. If you could revive any friendship from the past, which one would you chose?

That is a really interesting question! So, I'm assuming this is someone I have totally lost contact with, and not just a friend I want to have increased intimacy with. And for this, I would say my friend John Paul Lopez (I am putting his full name on the off-chance he'll google himself, read this, and get in touch with me!). We knew each other in high school, and then after high school we spent almost every waking moment of the summer together. We stayed out until 5am almost every night, and he was like a brother to me. I moved up to UCLA for school, and stayed in pretty good touch with him for a few years, but then we just lost contact. He did go up to Berekeley for school, and I have heard some kind of sad rumors about what he's up to now...but I have no way of getting in touch with him. I'd like to though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for playing, stephaniecapell!

1. If you want to play, leave a comment below saying so.
2. I'll post five unique questions to the comments section of YOUR latest post.
3. You answer them in your blog.
4. In your post, you include this explanation and an offer to interview others.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home