4.05.2006

The McPassion of America

Well, I'm off. Gotta get packed, grab some lunch with a friend, and then head to the airport. I'll be in Seattle a few days, then Portland a couple days, then I'll fly back to Atlanta on Monday. I'm excited about the trip--but all of the usual insecurities and anxieties about meeting new people and going to new places also join the mix of feelings. But mostly I am excited. It is weird that this desire to live in a L'Arche community that I've had for several years now, that has existed mostly in the abstract, is moving closer to fruition.

While I'm gone, feel free to watch a short film online tying together the movie The Passion of the Christ with McDonald's called The McPassion. I'm not really sure whether it's deeply offensive, an appropriate satire of consumeristic American "Christian" culture, or just kind of silly. Maybe all three. When I think about it as a critique of Christian capitalism and consumerism, I'm less offended by it. (But if you are easily offended by mockeries of Christian culture, or jokes about Jesus, definitely don't watch the movie. I did find myself cringing in a few places. There's your warning.)

But this past Saturday, my friend Danny and I were at a jewelry party (you know, one of those parties where you are invited to buy things) and there were several telling moments. First, in describing the company, our hostess told us the company was based on biblical values. We looked at each other oddly, thinking, which biblical values are exactly being uplifted here? Vanity? Capitalism? Then, when we were looking through the catalog, we noticed a page selling that type of bracelet where you can buy links that say things (kind of like a charm bracelet for the new millenium). There were three sets of links you could buy, and we found it very VERY telling of American culture. Here were the sets, in order (note the progression):

1) Faith- including links like: WWJD, a Christian fish symbol, a cross, etc.
2) Freedom- including links like: the American flag, USA ribbon, red, white, and blue jewels
3) (I forgot the name of this pack)- including links like: Love 2 Shop, lipstick, etc.

I wished I could rip that page out of the catalog and distribute it to the entire country. It's just so telling. Anyway, I'm off. Everyone have a great rest of your week and weekend. Godspeed!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dang! That is so hilarious. We get another catalog that has tons of that stuff but in the form of crafts for kids: http://www.orientaltrading.com

Please note that it is called ORIENTAL TRADING CO. I guess at some point in the late 1800s, this same company would ship silks and rugs and now ships foam crosses and felt nativity scenes.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home