4.03.2006

An Aspect of God

Over the past few days, I've been reminded of one of my favorite things about God. First abstractly, and then God solidified it in a concrete situation. It's not a new thing, but there is something in our culture that makes it really easy to forget this. And I really do love this about God. It's probably one of the things that really gives me a feeling of affection for God--like, real affection, like, "you make my heart smile when I think of you" affection. I mean, I always love God, but there are not as many moments where I can really feel the sentiment. But I am feeling it now.

So what is this thing about God that makes my heart flutter, you ask?

Well, here's the explanation. I'm in a Bible study where we all read 3 chapters a day, and meet once a week to talk about what we've read. We started maybe a couple months ago at Genesis 1, and now we're almost done with Judges. And I love Judges. It's one of my favorite books in the Old Testament. And at Bible study this past week I started to comment on something I had noticed about God in the reading, and just like that, as soon as I started to verbalize it, there went my heart--aflutter.

I love that God especially chooses to work through the unlikeliest of candidates to do God's work in the world. Either choosing to whittle down a great army to a mere band of 300 clowns who lap water like dogs to fight a battle, or choosing women to defeat military leaders, or having a child kill an oppressive giant--God is constantly constantly choosing the "weak things of the world" to overcome the strong. I love that God does that. I love that God does that for God's own glory, and I love that God does that to subvert the earthly concepts of weakness and strength.

I totally love it. LOVE it. I think this world would be very different if we American Christians could hold onto this reality for more than 5 minutes at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home