1.03.2006

Awards, Community, Idealism

So I got an email from a professor yesterday letting me know I didn't get some award that I had applied for, and that it was going to two other students. The thing is, I never actually applied for this award. The professor mentioned that she thought I should apply for it, but I never thought about it again after that. Whatever. Leave it to me to get a rejection letter for something I never even applied for.

But it got me thinking a lot about awards, prizes, hierarchical divisions of achievement, etc. I can't help but feel like these things are antithetical to the Gospel. In the new school newsletter there are listings of who got which scholarship in the hierarchy, complete with names and photos. It creates an environment of comparison, competition, and necessary "sizing-up" among colleagues. I realize that this is an academic institution, and certain things are "normal" in such an institution. But to me, I just don't like the message it sends or the community that is created by such a system. I'm all for giving people money and scholarships--but do you really need to publicly say who gets what? It doesn't sit well with me.

Yes, in an ideal world we would all sit back and rejoice with those who are recognized. This is not that world. People's feelings get hurt, people feel bitter/prideful etc. I think I am just not in favor of awards, especially not in a seminary. The Gospel is not about creating a totem pole where we give accolades to the strong at the expense of the weak. I believe that in fact, in a Christian community it is the so-called "weaker" members that are given even greater value (go ahead, look it up).

This leads me to another thought (thanks to talking to CMUG about this tonight): which is better, to be idealistic about what Christian community and Christian institutions should be like, and therefore to be constantly disappointed? Or to be cynical about everything? Which is better?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah! grades! competition! money! awards!

it's all gospel all the time!

there is something dreadfully wrong about this...

and something horribly seductive too. I remember thinking how nice it would be to win an award. Then I thought I really deserve one, ya know, I've been working so hard, and then I thought--you asshole--stop thinking like that.

then I applied for one anyway.

then I felt like a fool.

so, good times all around. I'm for the amused approach myself (it's the cynical variety with a dash of don't take yourself so seriously).

Peace, Casey

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home