10.23.2005

Poetry and Suffering

I am currently working on what is, up until now, my favorite paper I have worked on in seminary thus far. We pretty much had free reign to write on anything we wanted from the book of Jeremiah (for my Exilic Prophets class). From my own personal life, I have been realizing how entering into the deep pain of loss really urges me to express those feelings artistically (songwriting is my particular art form). And I was thinking about how Jeremiah, directed to a group of people experiencing total devastation of their lives, contains so much poetry.
So I'm looking at how poetry, in particular, speaks to and connects with people's deep pain, in a way that regular prose may not, and using one text in Jeremiah to really examine how that may work concretely. Here is the text I'm working with, Jeremiah 9:17-22 (9:16-21 in the Hebrew Bible)--when I had my mom read it, she was like, are you depressed? The likely answer to that question is, When am I not?

Thus says the Lord of hosts:
Consider, and call for the mourning women to come;
send for the skilled women to come;
let them quickly raise a dirge over us,
so that our eyes may run down with tears,
and our eyelids flow with water.
For a sound of wailing is heard from Zion:
"How we are ruined!
We are utterly shamed,
because we have left the land,
because they have cast down our dwellings."
Hear, O women, the word of the Lord,
and let your ears receive the word of his mouth;
teach to your daughters a dirge,
and each to her neighbor a lament.
"Death has come up into our windows,
it has entered our palaces,
to cut off the children from the streets
and the young men from the squares."
Speak! Thus says the Lord:
"Human corpses shall fall like dung upon the open field,
like sheaves behind the reaper,
and no one shall gather them."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home