6.30.2005

Ripping Off Songs

So I'm just curious what people think about borrowing CDs from friends or the Library or whatever and uploading the songs you like (to your iPod, computer, whatever), and returning the CD. I have heard several different takes on this--some people think it's wrong in all cases, some think it's okay as long as the artist is really commercial and successful and doesn't need the money, and some think it's okay all the time. A friend of mine compared it to recording songs off the radio and making mix-tapes...and I see the similarity, though the quality and convenience of uploaded songs is much different. Anyway, I'm not asking about the legality of it, more like what people think about it morally, and whether it's something you've ever felt convicted about.

I just discovered that a local library has TONS of CDs that they loan out, and you can check out 5 at a time. Let's just say I've already made my second trip there. I have picked up:
Patti Griffin...1000 Kisses
Heart...The Road Home
Red Hot Chili Peppers...Californication
Old 97s...Fight Songs
(and last but not least)
Paula Abdul...Forever Your Girl

How wrong is this new habit?

3 Comments:

Blogger The HEAD said...

Ok, i have a question for you. I have something like 25 GB of music on my computer. I bought over half of the CD's, but some my friends give me the CD's and i rip them.... wrong or not?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Temujin said...

I have no morality issues with file sharing. Most bands sign a contract with a record company that says they will be paid X amount to put out Y number of albums.

They said blank cassette tapes would be the end of the music industry, and it was not. They say it will be the end of the movie industry too, and it will not.

I have never felt convicted about taping a movie, or file sharing.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bethany, this is a late post, but i figured i would post anyways.
our pastor gave a sermon in which i was convicted about illegal music downloading. the bottom line, he was saying, is that it is stealing and illegal. doesn't really matter that these musicians are making tons of money or that you aren't hurting anyone, that's not really the point. i think its like that passage in mark 12 about giving to caesar what is caesar.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home