6.29.2005

Letter to the President

Here is the letter I sent to the President, through World Vision's campaign to end poverty (the One Campaign). If you click that link, you can sign the petition and email the President yourself too. I am hoping God moves powerfully at the G8 summit in a couple weeks.
--------------------------------------------
President George Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
The White House
Washington, DC 20500-0003

Dear President Bush,

Since moral duty and responsibility have become important parts ofyour presidency, I think it is time we act ethically responsible withthe money and power we have as the most privileged nation in theworld. God has indeed given us much, but it does not belong to us, itbelongs to God. So I ask that as you meet with the other world leadersat the July 6th G8 Summit, that you would use some of our resources tobless those in the world's poorest countries. I would personally bewilling to make sacrifices in my life of privilege here in Americathat would allow this to take place.

I would ask that you would allocate 1% more of the US budget forHIV/AIDS basic needs, and that you would cancel debt and reform traderules so that poorer nations can realize some of the privileges andeveryday necessities that I, and many other Americans, take forgranted. [the next part is the filler that World Vision put in for me]

[I urge you to lead other nations at Gleneagles to make povertyhistory by:> Helping the poorest of the poor fight poverty, disease, andhunger at a cost equal to just one percent more of the U.S. budget ona clear timetable.> Canceling 100% of the debts owed by the poorest countries.> Reforming trade rules so people in poor countries can earnsustainable incomes.Thank you for your leadership to help others help themselves andespecially giving children the opportunity to live life in all itsfullness.]

Sincerely, (me)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home