9.11.2006

Teaching.

As you can see, I have a new picture. No, it's not a drawing of me (tho, the resemblance is uncanny, don't you think? ;)). It's the Syro-Phoenician woman of the Gospels. Gotta love that woman. I decided that if I'm going to write about my new job at all, I better remain anonymous. So, I can't have a picture of myself right next to all my writing!

Anyway, things are off to a very rocky start. After this week, students will be changing periods during the day, which will be better, because I'll have a different group each period. But right now I have the same group all day, and let's just say, they are wonderful people, but a very difficult bunch to teach. And that's the nature of this field, of course; these students just have more extensive needs in terms of learning, socially interacting, and knowing not to hit other students and destroy classroom property. But it can get wearing. It's to the point right now where I'm not even enjoying the job or the students much at all. There have been a few moments where things feel really great, and I enjoy the students, and feel like they are comfortable, and learning, and growing in an awareness of their own beauty and value. So far though, these moments are few and far between. I'm hoping that as I get into the groove (and the students do too), things will go more smoothly and I will feel less like quitting at the end of each day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is how i feel after 2 months. no longer like quitting after most days, but still after some days. i find myself loving my teenagers, but then feeling like i'm not doing what i should be doing for them - e.g. what's my core curriculum, where's all the spiritual formation i promised, where's the mission emphasis i love, when will we be family-based rather than me-based? let me know if you find a solution. p.s. check out the blog...

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home