10.19.2006

Who Would Jesus Schmooze?

The issue of the previous post touches part of the core of who I am as a person. My life would be a lot easier if I felt I could look in the mirror at myself after "working a room" or something (in fact, then maybe I'd feel like I could be a "pastor" as the church currently seems to define it). To clarify, this "schmoozing" is something I can do and can do well. I say this because I felt like some people in their comments were saying that they used to not be good at it either, but then they learned how to do it, as if that was the issue of what I was presenting. So just to clarify, ability to schmooze and work a room is not the issue. The issue is that I cannot live with myself after I do that, I feel like a total sell-out.

An aspect of a comment I did appreciate, by GetTheWordOut on my other blog, was that sometimes it can just be about getting to know people and love them. And if that kind of thing can really happen at a certain schmooze-fest, then I guess I'm all for it in that situation. But I am very much against using love and relationships as means to ends--sometimes I feel like we Christians dole out our love and time to get someone to change in some way, and in that way it's a means to an end. But to me, love (real love) is an end in itself. Not that we don't want things for people, but that we don't use our love as a "tool." That idea leaves a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

So anyway, here's a question, because I think sometimes I (and maybe you, but I don't want to be presumptuous ) have a tendency to make Jesus who I want him to be, looking at the passages that align with my viewpoint, and conveniently neglecting the others. So, going off of the last post, what kind of person do you see Jesus as (and please include any reasoning you have)--someone who schmoozes and works the room to accomplish his goals? or as someone who abhors that? or a mixture? or...?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Jesus schmoozed.

For me schmoozing is moving through the room trying give each person what you think they want.

Jesus would move through the same room giving each person what he knew they needed.

8:49 PM  
Blogger KQ said...

A couple of things.
1) I think the marjority of people appreciate our candor more than we realize. Now I may be way off here, and many times when I open my big mouth, I find that those around me are a bit taken aback. BUT (and here's the interesting thing)- it's often people indirectly involved in the conversation. So, for example, I'm standing in a circle of friends and say something very direct to one of them, and then another friend says "I can't believe you said that!" I find that the person to whom I actually spoke rarely seems hurt by what others perceive to be an inappropriate remark or action.
2) BUT- you are on to something with the love comment. Honesty, as far as I'm concerned, is only the best policy if it's motivated by love. I'm not saying you should lie to people you don't like or find dispicable, but maybe you should just shut up every once in awhile. And by "you" I really mean "me." Wait . . . where was I?
3) I agree with Meghan's comment- that Jesus would give people what they needed because he is always motivated by love (and also because he knows, like, EVERYTHING). And because he is in the unique position of loving everyone, he doesn't have to shut up. Have I completely solved your dilemma at this point? :)
But really- Jesus told a lot of people things they did not necessarily want to hear. Granted, he had the benefit of always being right, and we do not.
Anyway- I think I'm just restating what has already been said. I agree with you, and would like your money and support. Just kidding.

7:36 AM  
Blogger TheNeedyMother said...

Gotta resound with Meghan there.

Also, my friend Grizz said very wisely once (after I complained that the schmoozing and meeting person after person night after night was getting tiring), that it was a rare opportunity to sit and be with that particular soul. Thereon after, I enjoyed the people Imet so much more.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home