10.02.2006

Observations and Recommendations

As I was driving to Trader Joe's to get some groceries, I passed by two different businesses that cracked me up by their names. Not so much each name itself, but the visual image that came to my mind when I thought about how their business actually worked. The first was called "New Age Auto Repair." Now, it's just a normal car repair place, but I pictured a guy with hippy hair waving crystals and chanting over a broken engine as their method of car repair. Then I saw a water store called "Alice's Store of Living Water" or something. I was like, wait, is that a Christian bookstore or something? Nope. Just a store that sells drinking water. Living water? Odd.

Also, I want to make a couple of media plugs. One for a movie, and one for a CD.

Movie: Dogville, 1994, by Lars von Trier; starring Nicole Kidman and Paul Bettany. This movie is brutal to watch, honestly. It's very minimalistic (the set is just one big soundstage with the rooms drawn on the ground), but after a few minutes of adjusting to it, I kind of liked the effect that had on the movie. But it's brutal because of the storyline--and everything that happens to the main character (named "Grace"...so, it's not overly subtle in its commentary). It raises some really interesting questions, and I would love for everyone to watch it and send me a message on their thoughts about it.

CD: Illinois (Come on Feel the Illinoise!) by Sufjan Stevens, 2005. My friend Aline bought this CD for me and gave it to me over the weekend, and I am really enjoying it. I like several of the songs, but at this point (after only a few listens through) my favorite song is "Casimir Pulaski Day." It's sad, moving, mellow, tragic, somewhat understated, and everything I love in a song. Check it out.

"Excess ain't rebellion. You're drinking what they're selling." -Cake

2 Comments:

Blogger KQ said...

I love Sufjan! He's a Jesus lover, too. It's funny, actually- if you read some of the fan message boards online people are like "I think he's gay because he keeps talking about this man that he loves and who would die for him and stuff." God bless 'em . . . "Jacksonville" is probably my favorite song on the CD, but I pretty much love the whole thing. You should try the Michigan album next.
I also liked Dogville, although I don't think I would be inclined to watch it again. It definitely made me uncomfortable- especially Paul Bettany's character. I kept finding myself thinking he really was a good guy and then being like "Oh. Wait . . ."

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I added Dogville to my Netflix cue.

still trying to figure out life in Decatur.

luv
Rachel

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home