5.26.2006

A Few Things...

1) About graduation...the awards were announced out loud during the ceremony. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was just kind of funny to sit through that part of the ceremony. I did get an award, which was kind of funny. It was a fellowship to go on to pursue PhD work. Several members of the faculty came afterwards to explain that the award was meant to affirm gifts they saw in me, and that the true intention was to celebrate those gifts. One of the faculty even said, "You received that award so graciously." I was thinking, what was I going to do? Jump up and down and renounce the whole system? That just didn't seem right. And, in the end, I am grateful for the award and know that the money will be useful (if and when I begin PhD work). Can I be grateful for the award, and still not believe in the whole system of awards? Because that's how I feel.

2) I arrived home yesterday evening after 4 days of being on the road. Overall it was a really fun trip. Jose and I had a good time together, didn't fight, listened to some good music and ate some good food. The first night we stayed in Memphis, TN, second night Elk City, OK, and 3rd night Flagstaff, AZ. We drove about 2,300 miles total.

3) I'm not loving the fact that I've moved back into my old room during this transitional period. I haven't lived at home for 11 years, so it's hard not to feel like I'm taking a huge step backward. Anticipate future entries on this phenomenon.

4) I finally joined eharmony. Look out world.

5) Also anticipate future entries on what the heck Christianity is supposed to look like in suburbia. That is something I've been thinking about both as I've moved back to suburbia (with all the numbness and comfort that entails), and as I think about what type of church I'd want to potentially be a pastor in.

6) What better thing is there for me to do than apply to work at Fry's Electronics while I figure out what I'm going to do with my life?

4 Comments:

Blogger micah said...

congrats on your award. i would like to adapt your profs comment and say: i think you are handling your difficult transition quite graciously. you seem to be recognizing what is difficult and unappealing about your situation, but not just complaining or lamenting. rather, you seem to be keeping a sense of humour, and remaining open to new possibilities, new questions, new challenges.

and as far as those go, i think the issue you (briefly) raised about the suburbs is an interesting one, and worthy of much more reflection.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, too, am moving back home,and though the circumstances are different, i'm wrestling with similar issues of living with parents, living near parents, living where i grew up, working in same presbytery i've grown up in, being examined for COM by my home pastor who is also my best friend's dad whom i may never get to respect me as a minister. sigh. i'm glad you're back safe and sound, and i'm glad you have been in my life these past years. i'm sad we never wore eyeliner and watched the pedophilia movie. did i give you my bead - i can't remember, and i can't find it now. how many did you wind up with?

2:16 PM  
Blogger bethany said...

*as a point of clarification, the "pedophilia movie" katie speaks of is a DOCUMENTARY about a man and his son(s) who are put on trial for pedophilia. it is called "Capturing the Friedmans" and i recommend it.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award! You are the studliest stud in the world! You are far better than all of us and we are not worthy to read your blog! :)

PLEASE take that job at Fry's and give me a sweet discount! I would also accept any other electronics store.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home