2.07.2006

Singleness and Sickness

People who get married young have the right idea. Because then you have someone to take care of you when you're sick.
As a kid you have your parents (or whatever adult is raising you) to get you soup and stroke your hair and tell you they're sad you're sick. But then you move out on your own, and unless you have a significant other or a mate, chances are no one is stroking your hair and bringing you soup anymore. And it sucks.
I've been lucky enough in the past to have some friends who have been really good at caring for me when I'm sick, and just letting me know that someone cares that I'm feeling crappy. It's not happening too much these days. And I think that care is available to me, but the thing is that I'm not good at opening myself up to it. Here I thought I had gotten so good at being able to receive care. But several things have happened lately that make me realize it's still something I need to work on.
Ah, lifelong issues. How lovely.
For now, I'm going to go stroke my own hair and buy some soup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home