1.28.2006

Antibiotics, Doctors, and Books

Today I'm very weak. I've been pretty tired lately, and haven't really known why, but I've just felt like an old woman. I was like--what the hell?! I'm only 28! But then last night I woke up at like 3am and was peeing blood (yeah, that definitely is probaly more than you wanted to know. just deal.), so I went to the urgent care place this morning and found out I've been fighting a pretty bad infection. Go figure. Well, now I have the drugs, and hopefully my energy will return when this whole thing is killed. I typically hate going to the doctor because the conversation goes like this (dramatized):

Me: I think I have a sinus infection.
Dr.: You should probably lose weight.
Me: Um...this is about my sinuses, I feel like total crap and I need you to look up my nose and help me out here.
Dr.: Do you exercise?
Me: Uh, yeah, almost always 5 days a week, I go to the gym or go for walks.
Dr.: (I can tell he doesn't believe me about the exercise, even though I'm telling the truth.)
Me: But can we get back to figuring out about this annoying and horrible sinus infection I have?
Dr.: Man, I wish everyone would be at their ideal weight on this super awesome weight chart of mine. Thin people never get sinus infections.
Me: (stares in disbelief, thinking "screw you")

Okay, so that's not verbatim. But you get the idea. It hasn't been as much like that in the past few years, I think I know how to advocate for myself better--and I don't just feel ashamed for getting a sinus infection or whatever anymore. But anyway, going to the doctor isn't always my favorite thing. So I'm glad it was relatively painless today, and they were very kind and helpful. When I'm already sick, I don't love people making snap judgments and criticisms. Not that I love that when I'm not sick either.

So, since I've been under the weather, I've been able to do a lot of reading. I have read over half of that short book The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience by Ron Sider and I must say I'm very disappointed. After his first book, Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger, I had high hopes. But alas, it's not very interesting, doesn't go into the issues very deeply, and screams of agenda-driven biblical exegesis. I don't recommend it. However, I do recommend the book I'm reading now, that I'm almost finished with called Kafka on the Shore. My friend Aline recommended the author to me after she read The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I have found this book very enjoyable, and I will probably read other books of Murakami's in the future. For now, I am looking to read another novel after this one, by whoever. Anybody have any suggestions?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently read The Kite Runner and would highly recommend it. While in Jamaica I read The Time Traveler's Wife, along with four others on the trip. Two very different books ... depends on what kind of mood you are in.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...I loved Middlesex and had fun with the time traveler's wife too. The plot against america is pretty good. And I just read Housekeeping which i think is one of those books that we 'should' read but have a hard time doing so.

wicked was fun. and if a memior might be up your alley may I highly, highly recommend 'Another Bullshit Night in Suck City' by Nick Flynn.

peace, Casey

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home