12.29.2006

Let the Creativity Flow

You know what the enemies of creativity are? Thinking too much about getting it "right" and about what other people will think of the product and about how it measures up to other people's work. Forget all that--just make stuff. It can be so super fun and joyous to create when I have freedom from those oppressive voices.

Last night I had a wonderful time with my friend Jason. I went over to his place with some of the songs I had written, and he played them on the guitar and offered suggestions and new musical arrangements and stuff. It was so great! Because I enjoy writing lyrics, and making up tunes, and I can sing the hell out of some songs, but I am not a good guitar player at all (I know like 10 chords, and for the most part all of my songs have some kind of D-G-A thing going on...). But Jason is awesome, so I would sing the song for him, and he could make up arrangements and say, "Hey, you should repeat that word here" or "This song should just have minimalistic guitar in the background" and stuff like that. It was great! My songs sounded better than I ever thought possible. Really exciting. And I feel comfortable enough with Jason that I didn't worry about being impressive or whether he thought my lyrics were stupid (okay, there were a couple lines he said were stupid, but it didn't bother me) or anything like that. It's so fun just to go with the flow and experiment and try things and feel free.

Then, my roommate and I are wanting to redecorate our living room a bit. One thing this requires is taking the four little art prints we have on the mantle, hanging them somewhere else, and replacing them with one big piece of art. We were discussing which artists we might want to put there, when we had the idea to make one ourselves. We're going to get a big canvas (or something--we have never painted and are extremely open to suggestions) and split it vertically down the middle, and we are each going to do something with one side. AND, we are not going to be able to see the other person's creation until ours is done. So who knows how it will turn out? It's exciting. (If anyone has ideas on what paint to get, how to do this as cheaply as possible, please share.)

Yay for unbridled creativity and freedom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would start by figuring out a palette with your roommate, so that the end results don't clash too violently with each other and with the rest of the room.

Then I would head over to Dick Blick (there are three of them in LA or you can go to their website, dickblick.com) and talk to the people there about what you want to do. You can get stretched canvases there fairly cheap right now (it looks like you can get a 2 foot by three foot for less than $15). I would be inclined to go with acrylic paints for this, but there are a lot of options.

For what you're wanting to do, I would look for paints and brushes that are labeled "student" or "scholastic" as they are cheaper, but usually still of a good quality.

Then, besides "have fun," my biggest piece of advice would be to call Ani. She's the pro.t

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home