4.10.2007

Street Parking

In the service of "I don't like to fill my life with any more anger and bitterness than is absolutely necessary", I would like to ask you all a question about something that has been pissing me off like crazy lately. Because, at least then I can find out whether my frustration is justified, or if I'm just being nitpicky and critical.

So here's the thing...though I live in a house, we only have one parking space which is occupied by my roommate. I don't mind, and let her have it, because often street parking is pretty easy to find and I don't mind walking. However...there is a Calvary Chapel very close to our house (don't get me started on what I think about this church theologically/ethically/intellectually/etc.) and they often have meetings where their members overflow their lot and then use the street parking around my house. That's not that big of a deal, they are entitled to it (though, I will say, my visceral dislike of the church probably does affect the level to which I let this get under my skin). But what I find really frustrating is how people park their cars. For example, when there is a driveway, they will pull up so that there's about 3/4 of a car length between the front of their car and the beginning of the driveway--rather than pulling up right to the driveway so the space is efficiently used. It just seems really insensitive. Like, along the curb in front of our house, 4 cars can fit pretty easily if people just park with some consideration of the fact that they are not the only person who may want to park around there. But when these church people (and, to be fair, other people too) come and park, often only TWO cars can fit along that curb. It's as if they purposely try to make the least efficient use of the curb as possible.

I just feel like people need to think more about the fact that there are other people who exist in the world. Is that too much to ask?

Okay. End of rant. All this talk of "efficiency" is making me a little sick with myself...such capitalistic garbage...but still, I am curious to know whether people feel like this is justified frustration, or just silly.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand the frustration. For some reason, we get a lot of people who park in front of our house and remain in their car apparently doing nothing. They're not doing anything illegal, but it's creepy.

I wonder if the city would paint parking space lines on the street if you asked...

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alot of people park on the street on my street and we've got plenty of space so most people leave huge gaps between cars. I determine how big a gap to leave depending on what time it is and if I think someone will need to park behind me or in front of me, how big is the gap in front of the car in front of me (can they get out easily), etc. In going to park in other places, I have come to the belief that yes, some people are just thoughtless, but I've also come to believe that some are uncomfortable parallel parking and fear not being able to get out of their space if someone's too close in front or behind them.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make it sound as if they have a personal vendetta against anyone who might need to park there as well. While frustrating, there may often be much more behind the poor parking job - being in a hurry, having something else on their mind other than how to perfectly fit their car into the space, and the fact that most people think they are further up than they often are. There's a lot worse things in the world...

10:10 PM  
Blogger bethany said...

jeff, (do i know you? why be so critical and make yourself anonymous?)
no kidding. i wasn't saying this was the worst thing ever. not even close. it's just a stupid blog entry. and, i realize there are other issues at stake. at the same time, consideration of others is always a good thing. i was just venting. it's not really something i spend hours being frustrated about. but just because there are worse things in the world, doesn't mean i can't sometimes need to vent about smaller things. i am human, after all.

10:28 PM  
Blogger TheNeedyMother said...

I totally understand. If there was a place that could be "the middle of LA," I live in it. Permit parking, no parking, parking from only 12-1pm, unless you have a permit or if you have a great car - whatever the restrictions are, you name it, we have it! That said, in front of my house, we have zone parking. There is a curb with a two block space. It drives me bizonkers when ppl dump their car in the middle. This is a great reminder for me to be considerate of others. I will never know if it pays off, but it will make a difference to that person with a hurry, etc.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home